1 the trait of being cautious; being attentive to possible danger; "a man of caution" [syn: cautiousness, carefulness] [ant: incaution]
2 a warning against certain acts; "a caveat against unfair practices" [syn: caveat]
3 judiciousness in avoiding harm or danger; "he exercised caution in opening the door"; "he handled the vase with care" [syn: precaution, care, forethought]
4 the trait of being circumspect and prudent [syn: circumspection] v : warn strongly; put on guard [syn: admonish, monish]
- Finnish: varovaisuus, huomio, huolellisuus, tarkkaavaisuus
- German: Vorsicht, Achtung, Behutsamkeit
- Hungarian: óvatosság
security; guaranty; bail
- German: Kaution
- Hungarian: óvadék
precept or warning against evil of any kind
- Finnish: varoitus, neuvo, ohjenuora
- German: Warnung, Vorsicht
- Hungarian: figyelmeztetés, óvás
- ttbc Dutch: voorzichtig
- ttbc Hebrew: זהירות (zehirut) (1)
- ttbc Latin: cautēla
- ttbc Portuguese: cuidado
- Finnish: varoittaa, neuvoa, teroittaa
- German: warnen, verwarnen
- Hungarian: figyelmeztet, óv
Caution can refer to:
- A precautionary statement describing a potential hazard.
- care taken with something
- a police caution, an alternative to prosecution for a criminal offence in some countries such as the United Kingdom and Australia
- a sanction taken on the field of play in Association Football by the appointed referee, signified by the showing of a yellow card.
- La Caution, a French hip hop duo.
- The Yellow Caution Flag in automobile racing that indicates a hazardous condition and a prohibition from passing other cars.
TLC, admonish, admonishment, admonition, advice, advise, advising, advocacy, alarm, alert, alerting, alertness, anticipation, attention, briefing, canniness, care, carefulness, caution money, cautioning, cautiousness, caveat, charge, circumspection, circumspectness, clue, collateral, collateral security, concern, consideration, consultation, council, counsel, cry havoc, cry out against, cue, daunt, deposit, determent, deterrence, deterrent example, diffidence, direction, discreetness, discretion, disinclination to believe, dissuade, encourage, enjoin, example, exhort, exhortation, expostulate, expostulation, falter, faltering, final notice, final warning, foresight, forethought, forewarn, forewarning, forfeit, frighten off, frightening off, give fair warning, give notice, give warning, guardedness, guidance, heed, heedfulness, hesitance, hesitancy, hesitating, hesitation, hint, hortation, idea, incite, inconvincibility, incredulity, induce, injunction, instruction, intimidate, intimidation, issue a caveat, issue an ultimatum, kid out of, leeriness, lesson, loving care, margin, mindfulness, monition, moral, move, notice, notification, notify, object lesson, office, opinion, parley, passing word, persuade, pointer, preach, precaution, preconsideration, predeliberation, premeditation, preparedness, prompt, proposal, providence, prudence, recommendation, regard, regardfulness, remonstrance, remonstrate, resistiveness to belief, shilly-shally, shilly-shallying, skepticism, solicitude, sound the alarm, stake, steer, suggestion, suspicion, suspiciousness, talk out of, talking out of, tender loving care, tentativeness, thought, thoughtfulness, threat, threaten, tip, tip off, tip-off, tough-mindedness, ultimatum, unconvincibility, uncredulousness, unpersuadability, unpersuade, unpersuasibility, urge, utter a caveat, verbum sapienti, vigilance, wariness, warn, warn against, warning, warning piece, watchfulness, whisper